2015 What A Year
WE DID IT!! Our final count of hats made in 2015…. 10,364
Here are the years Highlights
January – set up website PassingHats.org
February – First Directors meeting, setting up goals
- Taught groups at Salvation Army
- Danielle Dennis took over Carrolton area
- Leukemia Lymphoma Society conference we donated 200 adult and kids hats and Kids Club bracelet
March – Got our own 501-C3.
- Hebron High community day- 70 learned to make hats and 121 skeins of yarn were donated
April – Added more groups: Legacy, Cancer Care Ft. Worth, Presby hospitals, Arlington Cancer Center.
- Baylor downtown had a yarn drive between departments: 273 skeins were donated. BMT won the contest.
- Yarn drive from Baylors Apheresis unit 293 skeins of yarn donated
- Relay for Life- we donated rubberband bracelets made by our kids club
May – Continued meeting with all our groups
June – Met with Kaela’s kids making both hats and bracelets.
July – Farmers Business Systems donated Yarn and in 2014 donated a copier.
- Spoke to National Ovarian Cancer Coalition.
- Kid a kids camp with Cancer Support Texas.
- Became part of North Texas Giving Day
August– Taught Lunch and Loom to Reach Local
- Met with Antioch Christen Fellowship Corinth
- Directors meeting
September – Spoke to Ebby Holiday
- Spoke to Missy at Reach Local will help redo our facebook page
- Cancer support Texas race
- A very successful North Texas Giving Day for our first year. $725.00 dollars raised and 100% goes to purchasing yarn.
- Donated hats to the new Proton Center
October – American Brain Tumor Association race
- Heard rumor that 200 students signed up for Passing Hats from Highland Park High School for community service hours. Found out its true.
- Added Danielle Dennis as a board member- Public Relations
November –ROPP girls learned how to loom. 13 girls and 5 moms
- Spoke to the board of American Cancer Society Dallas
- Supplied hats to National Ovarian Cancer Coalition for their walk
- Supplied Pancreatic Cancer walk with hats
- Taught group of 15 ladies in Corinth
December – Received a check from American Endowment Foundation- Benevity Community Impact Foundation
- 4 North Dallas Chamber members went to The Gentlemans Club for a shave after : No shave November.
- Yarn and funding were donated to Passing Hats. Shaves donated by The Gentlemans Club.
- Filmed segments on how to loom hats with Winn Fuqua.
- Donated 250 hats to Ronald Mcdonald House Dallas.
- Board meeting- planning for 2016.
- Filmed WFAA click on link to see story: http://on.wfaa.com/1YrukPw
- Received many emails of individuals wanting to help knit hats and supply funding. On the website www.passinghats.org you can donate and 100% goes to purchasing materials needed to make hats. Wish to make hats you can knit, crochet, or loom hats. Find your favorite pattern. There are also a few short videos on the website under knitting along with suggestions keeping cancer patients in mind.
This has been an amazing year. Thank you to all who have participated and all who will be participating in 2016. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!